Journey into the Azure Span, an ancient frost-touched land, where you'll aid Kalecgos as he ventures into the Azure Archives on a mission to reclaim the Azure Oathstone.
When you first arrive in the Azure Span, you'll be greeted with snowy peaks, mist-covered forests, and icy tundra. The Azure Span stretches from coastal tuskarr villages through sprawling forest tundra to looming spires of ice and snow. Regal blue dragons once roamed these lands, but with the passage of time, several tribes of tuskarr, gnolls, and furbolg now call these ancient lands their home.
The Azure Span is one of the largest zones created in World of Warcraft to date and offers the greatest visual elevation change players will see in the Dragon Isles.
Much of the inspiration for this zone comes from one of our favorites in Wrath of the Lich King, Grizzly Hills, along with the California Bay area's coastal fogs and redwoods. Though, there's more than just redwoods to be found throughout Azure Span, as you'll learn when you trek through this diverse wilderness. Much of the zone is filled with varied biomes covered in snow and ice, giant frozen waterfalls, ice rivers, and forests shrouded in mist that beckon eager heroes hungry for adventure.
Adventure Lies Ahead in the Dungeons of the Azure Span
Brackenhide Hollow is the largest gnoll settlement in the Dragon Isles, and home tounspeakable danger. Decay seeps from the Hollow, spreading among the gnoll tribes of the Azure Span and threatening to rot away all life. In the heart of the Hollow lies the leader of the Brackenhide, and the knowledge she gleefully shares with her withered kin.
- Hackclaw’s War-Band: Rira Hackclaw and her compatriots, Gashtooth and Tricktotem have risen up as a deadly warband among the Brackenhide. Their tactics are the reason tuskarr never travel alone, and their strength is the reason Wratheye has them guarding the gate to the Hollow.
- Treemouth: Withered by decay, this once proud ancient has been dubbed Treemouth by the gnolls. As the rot settled into its branches, so too did it settle in the poor creature’s mind, leaving a creature bent on nothing more than the need to feed and spread decay.
- Gutshot: This sharpshooting gnoll has mastered the art of hunting, trapping, and killing her prey. Impressed by her abilities and cunning, the Decatriarch has assigned Gutshot to oversee and train the other hunters…and take out any interlopers that might venture too far into Brackenhide.
- Decatriarch Wratheye: Wratheye discovered decay magic in her thirst for power, and declared herself the Decatriarch after mastering it. She now builds the strength of the Brackenhide by spreading her dark magic among her tribe so the tuskarr, and all of the Azure Span, will rot in its wake.
The Azure Vault
Long ago, Malygos created the Azure Vault as a place for Sindragosa to catalogue and store away curious magical artifacts he found. Locked away and deserted millenia ago, the Vault has since fallen into disrepair, leaving it vulnerable to attacks from without… and within.
- Leymor: Leymor was born of a humble seedling that Malygos found in a pool of ley energy. Once but a small sprout in Sindragosa’s garden, over millenia Leymor has shot up like a weed. Left to its own devices, the looming giant would surely overrun the entirety of the Azure Vault.
- Azureblade: As security for the Vault, Azureblade refused to leave when it was sealed, choosing duty over safety. When the blue dragons failed to return, her bitter resignation drove her to eventual madness. Extending her own life with the magics she was sworn to protect, Azureblade now claims ownership over all the blue dragonflight left behind.
- Telash Greywing: Furious at the blue dragonflight, Telash Greywing is determined to find the secrets that Sindragosa has been hiding in the Arcane Vault. Together with the Sundered Flame, he is certain he will discover more about the origins of the dracthyr... and incriminating evidence against the blue dragonflight.
- Umbrelskul: Millenia ago, Umbrelskul unwittingly meddled with raw arcane power. Riddled with crystalline growths, he was taken to the Azure Vault until a cure could be found. Sadly, the Vault was sealed away before the research was completed, leaving Umbrelskul sleeping in stasis... until now.
Azure Span's Denizens
As you progress on your adventures, you'll encounter many inhabitants of this snow-touched biome who have made the icy peaks, forests, and shores their homes. Here are some that you'll meet on your journey.
Like their Northrend relatives, the tuskarr of the Dragon Isles are fishers and traders and have inhabited the land since the days when blue dragons roamed the Azure Span. Their tribes can be found throughout as they aid Kalecgos.
The Dragon Isles have been rejuvenated, but many blue dragons are still scattered across Azeroth. Kalecgos will need all the help he can get to reunite them—and an unexpected source appears to offer that aid.
A savage clan of shamanistic gnolls that have harnessed the power of decay, darkening their wetland home with vile pockets of thorns and roots. They are a force to be reckoned with.
The forest-dwelling furbolg are dealing with conflicts that have splintered their clans. Many have been lured with the promise of being able to bend the elements to their will.